Re: Hot backup- want to group tablespaces in script during off-hours

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:28:09 GMT

Thomas T wrote:

snipped

> Actually, I never said I wanted to put all of the tablespaces into backup
> mode at the same time! But that's what the scripts I've seen on the 'net
> are doing. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't another myth, where the
> books say one thing, but the reality is different.
>
> The server runs Netware, and if I try to intersperse a "host" command
> between the "begin backup" and "end backup" commands, the "host" conflicts
> with "end backup". SQL*Plus doesn't wait for the host command to finish
> before moving on to the next SQL command. If it did, things would be easier
> for me! I suppose I could load SQL*Plus, put a tablespace into backup mode,
> exit SQL*Plus, copy the file, load SQL*Plus, end backup mode, take the next
> tablespace into backup mode, exit SQL*Plus, copy the file, etc- but it
> doesn't quite appear "clean" to me. (Must be the programmer in me taking
> over, <grin>)

I found the same thing when implementing my first online backup script, how *I* got around it was have sqlplus run the script that created the backup script, then svrmgrl run the backup script itself, this fixed the problem of sql*plus opening another window as soon it "hosted" out. I've run this same script on AIX machines as well.

But there is a method for running it all from sqlplus, but it escapes me at the moment, and I didnt try it from sqlplus command line back then, just sqlplus for windows, and once I got it working with svrmgrl I just left it alone.

I will need to revisit it soon though, once I get all my db's running on 9i, but perhaps I'll take the time to learn more RMAN by then and it'll be a non-issue. I think Howard mentioned once that the RMAN in 9i is a *very* polished product and well worth using (I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong!)

> The db is small by most comparisons; about 2.5 gigabytes. From what I've
> read from Howard Rogers' manual (dated 2000), it makes sense to just take a
> backup of a few tablespaces a night- especially if disk space is low.
> (Which, on this old server, space is relatively low.) As long as long as
> the archive logs are being saved, the database won't mind if the data files
> are old. After all, only the tablespace files themselves are what's needed
> to bring Oracle up; the archive logs and redo information is what keeps
> Oracle up to date. I'd imagine I could even go back to a month's old set of
> tablespace data files, and still perform recovery- although I'd also imagine
> that it'd take forever for that database to finish recovery and come back
> online.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Thomas

You *should* be able to do all tablespaces in one session, I have a 3gig DB that I do nightly, but there is little or no activity on it during night hours, it was running on an old proliant 200 mhz server, but I do have it on newer hardware now. Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 09:28:09 CDT