Re: Physical Layout of disk to use Oracle

From: Hari Om <hari_om_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2003 14:20:09 -0700

Hi Howard,

What about this approach. I have two 18GB hdisk (mirrored with OS installed on it) and SIX 36GB hdisk.

It seems that since SYSTEM and REDO Log files are "NOT GOOD" for RAID 5, I came up with following. Instead of RAIDing (level 5) on 6 hdisk I would RAID only 3 disk and use them soley for DATA files.

So here is my layout:

hdisk0 --> AIX OS + Control File1 + Redo Log (Group 1)
hdisk1 --> AIX OS + Control File2 + Redo Log (Group 2)
hdisk2 --> Oracle SW + SYSTEM Tablespace files
hdisk3 --> REDO LOGS (Group 3)
hdisk4 --> ARCHieve Log Destination + UNDO
RAID 5 Disk (hdisk5 + hdisk6 + hdisk7) ---> DATA Files + TEMP

I cannot put my "hdisk3" under RAID 5 becos to OS RAID 5 is just one LOGICAL DISK and so I cannot multiplex them on different disk.

Will there be any issues in above setup....? Does someone here nay better idea then this one....?