Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:21:52 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1063585272.745719_at_yasure...

> I'd be willing to bet, from my experience in the industry and teaching
> that far less than 40% of those that call themselves Oracle DBA or
> Oracle Developer would have clue what they are.

Hmm, there is definitely a difference between your area and where I am. I've met only two DBAs working with Unix that didn't know what a RE is. Since 1986. They aren't DBAs anymore. Sorry, one is: of a very old V7 site.

> they exist. Or if they have heard of them haven't a clue how to use them.
> Fast forward to places with skilled Oracle staff and they are definitely
> in use.

Or they are running apps that don't and can't use them. Like Oracle 11i...
<cheap shot, I know. But unfortunately, true.>

> I'd be thrilled if before I saw 10g released I felt I know 1/20th of 9i.

Exactly. I don't even think there has been enough experience in the market about new features and which are of real value. Apart from ones that started earlier and were bug-fixed/enhanced in 9i. Like LMTs and the plan stability stuff that started in 8i. And the XML stuff.

10G is coming out too early. It better have the advantages and stability that were promised for 9i, or people will just stay away.

Besides, it's not an odd number release... <d&r>

> Oracle. I think it says more about their sense of insecurity than
> anything else. The biggest problem I see in
> the colonies with respect to Oracle are pricing which is too high for

      ^^^^^^^^

the WHAT????
:D

> Access. What the industry needs is a certification that has real
> meaning.

and the Masters ain't it, I'm afraid. As long as certifications are keyed to a version of Oracle they won't offer perceived value. As soon as Oracle removes the version number from OCP, I'll be in. Until then, I and quite a few others won't bother. Been there done that with the MSCE stuff: it's just a $$$ grab exercise.

Of course, refresher courses for new versions are needed: that is what lawyers, doctors, etc do: they get basic training then stay actual with refreshers. The re-certification as Oracle has it now is not the same. The message they are sending out is that once 10g comes out, one's 9i certification isn't worth squat. Regardless of my opinion about OCP, that is grossly unfair on those that have taken the certification.

>And that doesn't mean that you can cram for the exam.

there you go: you just earned yourself the tag of "on-going issue"! :D

> years. Then what does Bill have to sell? Bill can give bundle SQL Server
> and he's got a second rate RDBMS, an operating system that is the
> darling of every 16 year old cracker, and an office suite with
> functionality no one really uses.

Atta boy! :D

> Larry can bundle an O/S and an office
> suite and he's got what is arguably the best RDBMS on the market.

Mind you, with a bit of tweaking by a near 50 year old cracker, Lunix can do as much damage as Windows. Or a LOT more... (bless all that C I coded back when...)

> can't believe I'm not going back with the mouse, highlighting and
> hitting the delete button.

What was that? Never saw it, never read it. But agree entirely with you. ;)

> challenge Oracle. Also, one must remember that those that shop based on
> price will be the ones that buy SQL Server, not Oracle. So I'd expect
> the biggest hit, as with Linux, will be on Microsoft.

I see your point. But I'll have to say I still have to see a Windows shop running MySQL. The ones I know running MySQL are all Lunix...

> on capabilities that hardly anyone knows exist. And worse yet,
> capabilities that can't be learned at Oracle
> Ed and can't be learned in the books on the market, and are not being
> used.

Yes, very much so.

> It is as though they are selling
> a Cray and their customers think it should be used to surf the web. You
> can't charge what they are charging
> for the RDBMS if they don't take advantage of university programs such
> as mine to teach people what's
> under the covers. And so far they've shown minimal interest in backing
> what we are doing.

Oracle, like so many other USA software makers, is NOTORIOUS for NEVER allowing external anything. If it's not invented in-house, it's wrong or it has never existed. The famous "not-invented here" syndrome.

I've been dealing with it since I started working with American companies, back in 1974. It's a pity really. But it's how they all work. The stuff you see in c.d.ibm-db2 is just another example. Ridiculous. If you EVER manage to overturn it, let me know: I'm definitely interested.

Hang in there. What you guys are doing is sorely needed. Stuff what Oracle Education says. (No offence, HJR)

> You'll have a hard time finding a book or course with a title like
> 'Oracle 7.x Warrior" published in the current
> millenium.

That's where we disagree: book titles!
Mine would be "The Complete Oracle Warrior". :)

> >Well, it comes back to weeding out undesirable attitudes.
> >
> You say attitude I say versions. Unfortunately, except for semantics, we
> are agreeing again.

You say tomato, I say tomahto, eh? Satchmo rules! :D

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto