Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:59:39 +1000

Noons wrote:

[almighty snip]

>> It is as though they are selling
>> a Cray and their customers think it should be used to surf the web. You
>> can't charge what they are charging
>> for the RDBMS if they don't take advantage of university programs such
>> as mine to teach people what's
>> under the covers. And so far they've shown minimal interest in backing
>> what we are doing.

> Oracle, like so many other USA software makers, is NOTORIOUS for NEVER
> allowing external anything. If it's not invented in-house, it's wrong
> or it has never existed. The famous "not-invented here" syndrome.
>
> I've been dealing with it since I started working with American companies,
> back in 1974. It's a pity really. But it's how they all work. The stuff
> you
> see in c.d.ibm-db2 is just another example. Ridiculous. If you EVER
> manage to overturn it, let me know: I'm definitely interested.
>

> Hang in there. What you guys are doing is sorely needed. Stuff
> what Oracle Education says. (No offence, HJR)

None taken. Why do you think I resigned?

What always got me about Oracle Education was the pursuit of fat margins and revenue, when to my way of thinking, Education should be a loss leader. I wouldn't buy a piece of software that I could never get trained on, so the existence of a vibrant education department ought to be seen as a spur to license sales, not a revenue centre in its own right.

But I fear that's just Utopian old me.

I wonder if product support has to make a profit, too?

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 15:59:39 CDT