Re: Automatic startup of multiple instances on one Win2k-Machine??

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2003 09:15:36 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<14iolvg5n6n6st7uhd7jauo9mtpta5610n_at_4ax.com>...
> On 8 Sep 2003 01:41:56 -0700, Roman.Schicht_at_atosorigin.com (Roman
> Schicht) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >i have a Win2k-Machine with Oracle 8.1.7 installed. There are multiple
> >instances on this machine (5 instances). Every instance has its own
> >service set to Automatic. In the registry the "startup"-Parameter for
> >every Parameter is set to "true".
> >
> >The problem is now the following:
> >
> >At boot-time only the instance is started up, that is set in the
> >registry-parameter ORACLE_SID. The other Services are running too, but
> >the instances are not started.
> >
> >BUT!! if i restart such a service manually the database ist started!!
> >Only at boottime the instances are not started with the service...
> >

> >Normally i am on UNIX and there is a oratab-file where the
> >startable-instaces are listed.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to start multiple instances at boot-time??
> >
> >KR
> >
> >Roman Schicht
>

> Please check the alert log of the other instances (preferably before
> posting) as to what is going wrong.
> IMO, anyone even considering to run 5 instances on any Windoze
> platform should have a mental checkup.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

Health insurance coverage over her ain't so good. I'd need more than your reference for Insurance to cover the visit to the shrink :D.

Roman,

As far as Instance startup on Win32:
There is another log of interest.
If the instance is not started, then there will be nothing of interest in the respective alert log.
Check the oradim.log file located in %ORACLE_HOME%\Database. If there is an error on attempting instance startup, it should be listed in the oradim.log file.

How Win32 handles instance startup, instead of an oratab file, is in the regsitry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEn

   ORA_%ORACLE_SID%_AUTOSTART : REG_EXPAND_SZ : TRUE    ORA_%ORACLE_SID%_PFILE : REG_EXPAND_SZ : D:\Oracle\Admin\%ORACLE_SID%\pfile\init%ORACLE_SID%.ora

you may also want to set the file

  %ORACLE_HOME%\Database\init%ORACLE_SID%.ora

to have the contents:

   IFILE=D:\oracle\admin\%ORACLE_SID%\pfile\init%ORACLE_SID%.ora

(point to your real init.ora file, if you are using a pfile).

NOTE: for all the above cases of %ORACLE_SID%, I hardcode the value and do not leave it as an environment variable.

The setting AUTOSTART can be altered via the oradim.exe utility, e.g.:

D:\oracle\ora92\bin> oradim -edit -sid ORCL -startmode a -timeout 300

You can also use the Oracle Administrative assistant as a GUI to managing both the service setting (e.g. OracleServiceORCL) [automatic | manual] and the autostart mode [TRUE | FALSE].

hth.

Paul

ps page 134 of Oracle 9i for Windows 2000 Tips and Techniques covers this in detail. Its a good book for having a desk copy. Received on Mon Sep 08 2003 - 11:15:36 CDT