Re: Creating DB Manually

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:15:24 +0200

On 8 Sep 2003 09:10:46 -0700, hari_om_at_hotmail.com (Hari Om) wrote:

>Creating DB Manually
>
>Hello,
>
>I wanted to create a Database Manually (without using DBCA)
>I already have a database running called "BILL"
>I want to creat a database manually called "GATES"
>
>Here is what I did:
>
>1) Copied initBILL.ora file (/oracle/data1/admin/bill/pfile/) to
>initGATES.ora (/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/)
>
>2) Modified the following parametsrs in above file:
>DB_NAME = GATES
>background_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/bdump
>core_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/cdump
>user_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/udump
>control_files=("/oracle/data1/gates/control01.ctl",
>"/oracle/data1/gates/control02.ctl",
>"/oracle/data2/gates/control03.ctl")
>instance_name=gates
>
>3) At OS (IBM AIX 5.1) Prompt I do:
>export ORACLE_SID=gates
>
>4) I execute "./sqlplus /nolog
>
>5) Issued Startup command as followsS:
>
>startup nomount pfile=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/initgates.ora
>
>I get following Error message wonder why:
>SQL> startup nomount
>pfile=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/initgates.ora
>ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
>Once the above command is successful, I can then run "CREATE DATABASE
>Command"....but how do I proceed from here?
>
>(In book it says in step 4- above Start SVRMGR and connect as
>internal)
>
>Is the above sequence of steps proper...?
>
>Any related information is appreciated!
>
>THANKS!
Please read the Oracle manual and don't rely on third party sources. connect internal has long been deprecated. If you would have read the manual at all you would have noticed you would need to
connect / as sysdba
prior to the startup command
But apparently you want to be spoon fed and intend to become a real nuisance in this group.
So for now

PLOINK
and
goodbye

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Sep 08 2003 - 11:15:24 CDT