Re: Large memory support on 9.2.0.4 / W2K Adv Svr - it works.

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 7 Sep 2003 21:38:06 -0700

drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0309070910.61ab0d2_at_posting.google.com>...

> thanks. I'm really not interested in using the memory windowing
> functionality.

Well,that just about means your 2Gb over and above 4Gb will NEVER be used,no matter how many processes you throw at it.

> yes, /PAE is set, but is not being used.

It's not in use because you have no applications anywhere that will use it. It's like the old "expanded memory" thing: if the program is not written to use it, it don't get used. Nothing to do with W2KS: it just provides the facility and stays out of it.

> locally, that particular server houses about a dozen databases, maybe
> 10 instances at any given time, so the memory can be used.

No it won't. Or else there is something very weird going on with M$'s and Oracle's information. Throw in 100 instances and it *still* won't be used. W2KS simply won't use that memory. It will give it to any single program that *requests* it, but if you don't have the AWE extension turned on in *each* Oracle instance, they won't touch that memory. Nor will anything else that is not written specifically to use it.

It is NOT, I repeat, NOT, part of the virtual or real memory linear addressable space for use by all processes. No matter what DELL might say about it.

> Typically, I leave about 2 GB out the 6 GB alone, just to avoid the
> nasty paging dæmon.

?????
If you "use" them, they are used on a 1Gb window by Oracle alone, and then again only for database buffers. That means they are outside of the influence of the paging daemon. W2KS won't touch that memory with a ten foot pole: it can't, its real addressable space stops at 4Gb and that's it.

> I just wanted to see if oracle large memory support with /3GB was
> functioning (again).

OK, that's fine.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Sep 07 2003 - 23:38:06 CDT