Re: Large memory support on 9.2.0.4 / W2K Adv Svr - it works.

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2003 10:10:46 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f5a8f12$1$14558$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Paul Drake" <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1ac7c7b3.0309061157.42b51ee5_at_posting.google.com...
>
> > Large memory support didn't work at all on W2K Advanced Server for
> > 8.1.7.4.x patchsets (at least 81741, 81746).
> >
> > I finally got around to testing it on 9.2.0.4 today, and much to my
> > delight, it worked. No errors, could connect, etc.
> > Not that I want to run with a 1 GB PGA, 1.5 GB buffer cache, but, I
> > could.
> >
> > Software:
> > MS W2K Adv Svr (SP4)
> > Large memory support enabled in boot.ini (/3GB option)
>
> I hate to rain on your parade, but the /3GB switch won't let you use
> your 6Gb memory...
> See:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037

Nuono,

thanks. I'm really not interested in using the memory windowing functionality.
yes, /PAE is set, but is not being used. (if you right-click on "My Computer" - it will indicate that /PAE is set).
locally, that particular server houses about a dozen databases, maybe 10 instances at any given time, so the memory can be used. Typically, I leave about 2 GB out the 6 GB alone, just to avoid the nasty paging dæmon.

That particular server was obtained via the Dell Refurb site - 6 GB of memory is what it came with, along with a spare gigabit NIC, Qlogic FCBHA (dust collectors, no gigabit switch or FC storage enclosures around). That whole deal (external storage cabinet, dual channel raid controller, cables, management hardware, no OS) was about 12,300 USD awhile back.

I just wanted to see if oracle large memory support with /3GB was functioning (again).

> > Hardware:
> > Dell PowerEdge 2650
> > 2 x 2.4 GHz Xeons (hyperthreading disabled)
> > 6 GB physical memory (all that this puppy will hold)
>
> Yup. Another 2Gb of memory wasted...

Actually, only using 4 GB of 6 GB seems like good pratice to me _on W2K_, not a waste at all.

> > Time to put some more memory in the Intel boxes.
> >

> Make sure you use also the /PAE switch.
> Otherwise, it's like Charlie Brown's "pee-in-your-dark-pants"
> syndrome: gives you a warm feeling and nobody notices.
>
> :)

lol.

Paul Received on Sun Sep 07 2003 - 12:10:46 CDT