Re: Low-Hassle 9i Application Server advice?

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:50:31 +1000

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:29:53 +0300, Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info> wrote:

>> It just happened a bit quicker than anticipated! (I have a Microsoft
>> brain, you know: I find it difficult to multitask and remember two
>> different sign-offs at the same time).
>

> But you are upgrading to linux, aren't you?
>
> Tanel.

Nah. Just for Oracle stuff (which won't be being installed onto any Windows box I own ever again. The speed increase on Linux, same hardware... exact same box... was shocking.

I have many hundreds of CDs, and many thousands of tracks, all ripped in... er, WMA format. If and when Linux ever gets a decent WMA player, I'll make the switch. But I'm not re-ripping that lot (and as hi-fi buff, I'm not converting from one lossy format to another).

Then there's the new house we've just built. I'm under strict instructions not to have cables everywhere. So I go wireless... so I spend $800 on some clever boxes that use the electrical ring main as the network cable... and they don't work under Linux (at least, I can't get them to). For $200, I could have had the new house wired with gigabit ethernet... but I forgot to order the cable before the workmen decided it was time to do the walls....

It's just one disaster after the other at the moment. I'd rather not add Linux on my desktop to the list.

~QM Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 06:50:31 CDT