Re: Low-Hassle 9i Application Server advice?

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:29:25 +0300

Hi!

> Then there's the new house we've just built. I'm under strict instructions
> not to have cables everywhere. So I go wireless... so I spend $800 on some

I know what you mean ;)

> clever boxes that use the electrical ring main as the network cable... and
> they don't work under Linux (at least, I can't get them to). For $200, I
> could have had the new house wired with gigabit ethernet... but I forgot
> order the cable before the workmen decided it was time to do the walls....

There's always an additional cable which is forgotten, or the installed one just doesn't work..

> It's just one disaster after the other at the moment. I'd rather not add
> Linux on my desktop to the list.

Yep, I've used linux for 9 years now, but still stick to windows for my workstation because of it's superior GUI (well I'm just used to it and note that even on Microsoft, I'm not using mouse much!). For example do you use F7 command, in W2k command prompt? It gives you a nice history of commands executed, you don't even have to scroll through the menu, just press the starting letter of command you want to search. Also, the history is aware of application you're running (using the window name in description bar), so when you run sqlplus you see one list of history, when you exit, you see your normal OS commands history.
Of course, I've installed cygwin to have all unix utilities like sed, awk, etc...

Tanel. Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 08:29:25 CDT