Re: Oracle9iAS in same OraHome92?

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:55:55 +1000

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:11:46 GMT, SPIDERMAN <consultant2b_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi gurus,
>
> Is it recommendable to install Oracle9iAS Enterprise Edition and Oracle
> 9.2.0 database in the same OraHome92? Thank you

No, not possible, and certainly not desirable.

It's not even particularly desirable to have both installs done on the same machine. One of any application server's claims to fame is that they shift the load away from the database onto a middle tier that can be comprised of many different machines. Bunging everything onto one box is kind of negating that entire methodology.

Besides which, 9iAS doesn't like the CLASSPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables being set prior to the install, whereas the database install requires them. Strikes me you therefore need to do the two installs, if they must be on the one box, as at least two different users to get that effect (assuming you are using Linux or Unix).

If this is for practice and learning purposes only, and you have a fairly beefy box, then rather than install everything onto the one machine, try out VMware, create two virtual machines, and do your installs in them. Still one physical machine, but two separate environments... much more realistic.

~QM Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 06:55:55 CDT