Re: Installing Oracle App Server on a Laptop that connects to different Domains

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 06:09:54 +1000

On 7 Aug 2003 07:44:33 -0700, GRecken <grecken_at_excite.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble installing Oracle App Server 9.0.3 on my laptop. It
> seems it runs ok until I come to the other site that I work at and
> connect to a different network domain. Then half my services do not
> start up. I already have oracle 9i database installed.
>
> Has anyone run into simialr problems or have any thoughts? Let me
> know if more information is needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Put simply, you can't change the domain name of your 9iAS box, and nor can you change it's IP address. Well, the doco. says that changing either is 'unsupported'... and I certainly don't know how to do it.

For a laptop that travels between different networks, you might try installing into a virtual machine (think Vmware or Connectix's VirtualPC). The real laptop can do what it needs to do, but your virtual machine remains isolated and unchanged. It had better be a powerful laptop, though.

~QM Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 15:09:54 CDT