Re: Installing Oracle App Server on a Laptop that connects to different Domains

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2003 22:08:36 -0700

quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<oprtjwysgtzkogxn_at_haydn>...
> On 7 Aug 2003 07:44:33 -0700, GRecken <grecken_at_excite.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble installing Oracle App Server 9.0.3 on my laptop. It
> > seems it runs ok until I come to the other site that I work at and
> > connect to a different network domain. Then half my services do not
> > start up. I already have oracle 9i database installed.
> >
> > Has anyone run into simialr problems or have any thoughts? Let me
> > know if more information is needed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> >

> Put simply, you can't change the domain name of your 9iAS box, and nor can
> you change it's IP address. Well, the doco. says that changing either is
> 'unsupported'... and I certainly don't know how to do it.
>
> For a laptop that travels between different networks, you might try
> installing into a virtual machine (think Vmware or Connectix's VirtualPC).
> The real laptop can do what it needs to do, but your virtual machine
> remains isolated and unchanged. It had better be a powerful laptop, though.
>
> ~QM

Hi, Quarkman,

I regularly change my laptop IP address. In office, it's assigned by DHCP server. But at home if I need to transfer some files to my home computer, the easiest way is to manually enter an IP and a netmask such that it and the home PC are in the same subnet, then I simply map drives. I've never changed the domain. Not sure if that's possible.

I think Metalink has an article suggesting installing Microsoft Loopback service to work around the 9iAS install problem on a DHCP client. Still not officially supported.

Yong Huang Received on Fri Aug 08 2003 - 00:08:36 CDT