Re: Can DBA Jobs be Outsourced ???

From: Maximus <qweqwe_at_qwqwewq.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:18:40 GMT

"Ronnie" <ronnie_yours_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ea603f8d.0308060909.79ae8680_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> With all the hoopla going on about outsourcing and developing jobs
> being outsourced overseas I was wondering how will that effect DBA
> jobs in US.
>
> Unlike programming where the developer can do the coding anywhere in
> the world the DBA has to be present at the location to do the
> maintenance work.

That is the beauty of global networks, a DBA can work from home, the office, or just about anywhere there is a decent connection. In the old days a DBA was married to his/her server at the local office... but the times, they have a changed. There are the physical limitations of course, if you have to go kick a server or change a tape, that sort of thing.

> Will the DBA jobs ever be outsourced overseas and if yes then what are
> the options do we DBA's have to save our jobs.

Yes, presently and historically. DBAs are cogs like any other corporate functionary staff, if the company you work for can get the same work done in India for half the price, kiss your ass goodbye. Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 03:18:40 CDT