Re: Can DBA Jobs be Outsourced ???

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:02:10 +0300

> That is the beauty of global networks, a DBA can work from home, the
office,
> or just about anywhere there is a decent connection. In the old days a
DBA
> was married to his/her server at the local office... but the times, they
> have a changed. There are the physical limitations of course, if you have
> to go kick a server or change a tape, that sort of thing.

I used to maintain billing system databases and data warehouses for a large European telco few years ago. The monitoring and maintenance was done centrally for all countries, but for migrations, implementations and similar projects, there were always few quys on site, others supporting from monitoring centre if necessary. The idea was, that if you hit a serious operational problem there, you can easily talk to a sysadmin or operator in next room or call the whole onsite team together to find a good solution quickly. Over the phone or e-mails it would have been much more slower.

But yeah, normal operations should be fine with a couple of tape operators on site and skilled workers offsite. It can be cheaper, even if you don't move the maintenance centre offshore.

Tanel. Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 07:02:10 CDT