Oracle 8 and MTS: how to set the dispatcher port

From: Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de>
Date: 7 Aug 2003 08:19:26 GMT

Hi all,

after an upgrade from Oracle 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.4 (Solaris) the MTS feature worked. I set it up as follows:

|large_pool_size = 25M
|mts_dispatchers="(protocol=tcp)"
|mts_service=INS1
|mts_listener_address="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(port=1521))"

and I guess I misunderstood the docs and made a mistake. What I observed is this:

That makes sense but introduces another problem. The firewall has to be opened for clients that want to connect to the Oracle machine. Without MTS it was only destination port 1521, but now we had to open port 32830 as well. So far, so good. But what happens if I restart Oracle? Will another dispatcher port be randomly choosen? That woul be bad because we would have to change the firewall rules after every restart of Oracle.

Would be

|mts_listener_address="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(port=32830))"

the right approach to force the dispatcher port to 32830. Received on Thu Aug 07 2003 - 03:19:26 CDT