Book recommendations? (FAQ?)

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:47:44 +0100

Morning Richard,

for a beginner I'd recommend these two, if you can get them :

Tom Kyte : Expert one on one Oracle. (Wrox press)

Don't be misled by the title. The first 3 chapters give assorted differences between Oracle and 'other' databases, including MS SQL - should be very relevant to your situation. It gets pretty technical after that, but is excellent.

Sean Dillan etc al : Beginning Oracle Programming (Wrox Press)

Again, don't be mislead. I have a copy of this myself. Goes into great background detail on how Oracle works and why. Then eventually gets into the nitty gritty of programming. The chapter on indexes (by Howard J Rogers) is one of the best explanations I've seen.

Problems : Wrox Press went belly up as a result of their parent company doing likewise. The books might be available from Wiley at some point as they bought up all the 'good stuff' with APress getting some as well. Get down to your local Borders or whatever as quick as you can !

Good luck !

Norm.

PS. The absolute BEST FAQ around can be found at http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html and if you want loads of really useful info, check out the rest of Jonathan's web site at http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk