Re: sequence and OPS

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 03:06:33 +1000

On 2 Aug 2003 08:15:57 -0700, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote:

> quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> On 31 Jul 2003 19:46:50 -0700, Daud <daud11_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What's the problem with using Oracle sequences in an OPS/RAC?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > Daud
>>

>> The problem is that the sequence can serve numbers to different users
>> connected to different instances, and if you've used the CACHE clause on
>> them, that means the numbers may not be allocated 'chronologically'. In
>> other words, you may see rows in a table with an ID column fed by a
>> sequence, with IDs 1,21,22,2,23,3,4,24,5... etc etc. Yet, each of these
>> rows was inserted one after the other.
>>
>> In short, the sequence guarantees uniqueness, but not a chronological
>> ordering.
>>
>> You can of course specify an ORDERED clause when creating a sequence.
>>
>> Brilliant. That would result in the previous rows appearing as
>> 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc etc.
>>
>> Only problem is: you can't say CACHE and ORDERED simultaneously. So if
>> you have it ordered, you can't have it cached, and that means a
>> potentially awful point of contention, and woeful performance.
>>
>> (Incidentally, you can indeed specify CACHE and ORDERED at the same
>> time, but then the ORDERED clause is silently ignored, without a word of
>> warning) .
>>
>> ~QM
>
> QM, order is purely a logical concept and using the ORDERED parameter
> on a sequence does not guarentee the commit order of the rows by the
> users or the physically stored order of the rows. I realize you did
> not state that it did, but listing the rows as 1, 2, 3,.... makes it
> appear that is what you get when in reality, when and if the user
> commits, what blocks are in the buffer, and the space avallable for
> inserts in them affect the physical distribution of the rows so the
> rows may not appear in sequence order when selected. Ordering of data
> is only guarenteed by use of an order by clause.

Fair enough. The perils of trying to explain things in language anyone can understand.

The point is that that instances won't co-ordinate their issuing of sequences if they're cached. Or they can co-ordinate, but then they're not cached. Make your choice. RAC can't cache and co-ordinate.

> Also when OPS/RAC is involved the use of a timestamp does not
> guarentee true chronological order either. The clocks on the parallel
> nodes may differ slightly so in fact the rows with a lesser timestamp
> could have been inserted later.

I didn't meant to imply true *chronological* co-ordinatiion, merely issuing of sequences of numbers in a co-ordinated cross-node fashion.

~QM