Re: Missing Component

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:29:12 +0200

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:21:13 GMT, "Christmas" <achristmas_at_woh.rr.com> wrote:

>When installing the 9iAS infrastructure, everything installs just fine,
>however when the configuration part of the install starts creating the
>database with the DBCA , I get the following error: ORA-2084 - DATABASE
>NAME IS MISSING A COMPONENT
>Oracle support is trying to help, but we still are getting the error. We
>have rechecked and rechecked the server , the server name and the host file.
>Oracle Support has asked me to do several things, but I am still getting
>this error. They said that it could be a character in our domain or
>machine name. I asked what specific characters and they could not answer
>this question...
>
>My question is: Has anyone experience this error when installing a
>database on Sun Solaris 64 bit machine and if you did can you tell me how
>you resolved the problem.
>
>Thanks
>Anita

You are not providing any clues here, even not the full text for the 2084 error. You are not posting the domain name here. How would you expect help?
The characters allowed in a domain name have been defined in a RFC. I don't have the link handy, but I would guess you can find the RFC easily when you search on "RFC +DNS" on Google. And NO, I never saw this error. My guess though is you have a domain name ending in a dot and/or are using underscores.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jul 29 2003 - 23:29:12 CDT