Re: anyone use BEA WebLogic or IBM Websphere against an Oracle database?

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 22 Jul 2003 17:50:53 -0700

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:<1VfTa.876$5b7.119_at_lakeread01>...

> has anyone used them? How do they compare to each other and to 9iAS? Can you
> do web pl/sql with those web servers? What about run forms and reports?

Websphere here. (pardon the pun)
No web pl/sql AFAIK. The thing is as heavy on memory as they come, but it's relatively easy to manage (all GUI Java front end). We use it to run J2EE applications. WSAD is very heavy on resources, each development workstation needs more memory and CPU power than I have for a DB server! But the developers reckon it's the best thing since sliced bread. Personally I don't know, J2EE development is not my scene.

Seems to be OK on performance. Takes a while the first time through while it compiles all the JSP stuff into servlets. But after that it's quite good. Uses up a horrendous amount of memory, though. Had a few surprises initially with the default isolation levels, they are set for DB2 and kill Oracle concurrency. Once we found out what and where to fix, all was well.

Haven't had any experience with BEA. 9iAS I use indirectly with JDeveloper (I'm the only one using it, I like the diagram tool!) to do test/populate screens. I find it a useful tool to test db code before I release it to Java mob. But it can be slow. Then again, I'm only using it with JDev: no tuning whatsoever. No time to do it either...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jul 22 2003 - 19:50:53 CDT