Re: Upgrade to big SUN box or RAC for data warehouse?

From: Lamimi02 <lamimi02_at_aol.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 01:10:20 GMT

Are you using NFS by any chance? What's the CPU and memory configuration of the 10K box? I just don't think it is a good idea to put a data warehouse on NAS which is really not known for its performance. If your network bandwidth is saturated, it might not do any good to upgrade the SUN box.

To choose between a 12K and RAC for data warehouse, I would pick 12K if your emphasis is performance. In general, both software and hardware are more expensive for RAC compared to non-RAC. You also have to maintain mulitple copies of the software and spend more time for setup. If you take those into account, they are not saving you money.

If you are considering Linux/Intel, be aware of the 2G SGA size limit on 32-bit platforms. Putting a terabyte database on those systems can be a terror. Received on Tue Jul 22 2003 - 20:10:20 CDT