Re: DBMS_RLS: Fine-Grained Access Control - Table name substitution

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 13 Jul 2003 23:22:33 -0700

"Bepy" <ramengo_at_hotmail.com> wrote

> In an ideal environment that could be a good solution, but... we're on a
> E-Business Suite environment and neither dblink names nor other schema
> objects are under our control.

Well, IMO it is either one of two things.

The application is wrong technically. It does not provide you with the flexibility you need - especially if you have no control over the database side of things.

The database is wrong. The application is written and designed for a single database system. The actual data is distributed, The data is now "consolidated" into a single database access point using dblinks.

Somthing that I tend to say a lot in this newsgroup. Don't fix the symptom. Fix the problem.

> I'm facing the sensation there's no way in Oracle to have parametrized views
> with dynamic SQL...

Even if you could.. would you want to? Think ito obfuscating your data access, adding an additional layer of logical and complexity to your data access. Performance. Maintenance. Support. Any idea what a mission it will be to trace a weird error in such a setup? Will this be wort the effort? Or is it a better option not to have this requirement in the first place by fixing something else instead? (like a bad choice in software or implementation?)

The biggest and deepest holes we fall into when using something like Oracle.. are the ones we dig ourselves.

--
Billy