Re: How to recover a dropped table ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:35:17 +1000

"Burton Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:GWiNa.539$x_4.17_at_fe03.atl2.webusenet.com...

> Nightly full exports to disk in compressed mode take up very little room -
> you would be amazed how small a 50Gig database full export compressed really
> is (depending on data could be less than 2 or 3 Gig - easily).

Akshally, if you park your reference tables and read-only/mostly tables in a separate schema and tablespace, it's dirt easy to export them every night and it's usually MUCH LESS than 2Gb. Then it's trivial to recover them if something "weird" happens. Same for summary tables.

Transactional tables (day to day activity) are usually much larger and are adequately covered by the ARCHIVE mechanism. If you lose one of them you're up for production stoppage anyway, so might as well use just ARCHIVE. Then again, other than disk loss I can't think of who would be stupid enough to drop one of these accidentally. But it can happen, I guess.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto