Re: How to recover a dropped table ?

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:47:05 -0500

For future reference ... just my paranoid opinion...

Nightly full exports to disk in compressed mode take up very little room - you would be amazed how small a 50Gig database full export compressed really is (depending on data could be less than 2 or 3 Gig - easily).

Highly recommened you do at least a full export backup (given your noarchivelog mode). I personally do 4 types of backups on dev(actually acceptance testing DBs) and prod databases:

- nightly hot (requires archivelog mode)
- daily archive log backups (if in archivelog mode - 2 copies of each log )
- nightly full exports (start out with consistent=y, but might need to
change to consistent=n if lots of activity during export time - which cannot be change)
- weekly cold backups (ok in our env , but probably not in others)

Note: I would also have 2 copies of everything at all times and archive to tape, especially if easy to have an existing backup process pick up your backup files.