Re: My database is too fast

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 18:23:01 -0700

"Teppicamon" <quicog_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bdpnrv$v0qdd$1_at_ID-162849.news.dfncis.de>...

> Not at all, we just used MV because they gave us better performance and let
> us index everything exactly the way we wanted.

What's a MV got to do with indexing of base tables? I'm lost here.

> the joins in real time (maybe it was just that we didn't do it the right
> way, but we had to go back to normal joins).

I'd say that was the case.

> That's actually the point with
> SQL Server, it's easy, it's clear, it's powerful enough and everything
> behaves as expected...

Attaboy! You tell them! ;) BTW, this means I agree with you. So don't come back here calling me a zealot, ta?

<soap box>
He's got a point here, folks. It's getting too complex. Oracle cannot expect all their users to be Steve's class. Most aren't and do NOT want to be: they just want the darn job done. Has anyone looked at the OEM performance monitor of late? I know a bit about Oracle and I got confused with all the crap in there... BIG overkill. Same applies to all the "managers" in it. It's getting way out of control. No one can expect normal users to go for that. OCP or no OCP.
</soap box>

> any experience with it... Why everything has to be faster in Oracle just for
> being Oracle??? You sound like a blind Oracle talliban shouting "Oracle has
> to be the best because Allah told us one century ago... Death to the
> unbelieving!!!" ;-)

Allah is over-rated. Larry said so. ;)

> Not the case as I see. But just for the sake of information, I'll tell you
> it was over 400 millions rows... Now go and make a complex query against
> that MV and tell me if 2 seconds (and in these 2 seconds you have to include
> network and asp overhead) is slow...

It doesn't add up. A MV on a 400 million row table (isn't that past the max of SQLS?) is NOT necessarily a 400 million row table. Most likely a few hundred. Join that to anything you want, it's *still* a small summary... As for overhead, yes, you are right: asp can be deadly. So is J2EE, BTW.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 20:23:01 CDT