Re: Almost Duplicate Database

From: Anna C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:10:23 -0700

Bob wrote:
> I have a production database where rows are continuously added to its
> tables.
>
> I need another database that is a copy of the production database for
> reporting purposes. In the production system, I want Rows older than
> 30 days to be removed. Old Rows must never be removed from the offline
> reporting data base. HOW DO I DO THIS?!
>
> I am not that familiar with Oracle or it's tools. DataGuard seems to
> make exact copies of the data, but when you delete from the production
> system, it deletes it from the duplicated system.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> thanks, Bob

With much difficulty in some/many/most cases. What happens with parent/child (PK/FK) relationships? Can the parent "give birth" to a child records on day 29 of the parent's life? What happens to the child on day 31 of the parent's life?

What happens for a Purchase Order Header (POH) record which does not get paid & closed out within 30 days?

Can you REALLY, REALLY blindly delete any and ALL rows older than 30 days; even "ZIP_CODES" records, & such? Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 20:10:23 CDT