Re: DB Maintenance and Monitoring Advice?

From: Anna C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:10:33 -0700

See response inline below...

April Nine wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a UNIX Sys Admim looking for some simple advice on monitoring
> of the Oracle DB.
> As an Oracle DBA what sort of events do you look for (using scripts or
> monitoring tools)?
> Here is a list of things I can think of:
>
> Current State Info:
> How much disk space is Oracle currently using?

Not really except for archived redo logfiles. Other log files get trimmed periodically & deleted after 7 - 30 days.
NONE of my tablespaces are set to AUTOEXTEND, so I don't worry about additional disk consumption.

> How much RAM is Oracle currently using?

No, on Solaris RAM freespace always go close to ZERO and stays there.
MUCH more importantly is paging/swapping rates.

> How much CPU is Oracle currently using?

I'n more concerned about CPU queue depth; too many processes in the queue means slow response times.

> What is the log-switch rate?

No, not if there are still spare resources available.

What about HOT SPOTS on disk resulting in I/O bottlenecks?

> Growth Rate Info:
> What is the disk space growth rate?
> What is the RAM use growth rate?
> What is the CPU use growth rate?
> What is the log switch growth rate?

NO, no, no, no.

> Recent Activity Info:
> Who has been logging into the DB recently?

no

> What applications have been connecting to the DB recently?

no

> What DB objects have been created recently?

no

> What heavy hitter SQL commands have been hitting the DB recently?

no
Based upon which metrics?

> How do the heavy hitter SQL commands compare to historical heavy
> hitter SQL commands?

no see answer just above.

> What do the SGA structures currently look like?
> (How large are they? What is in them?)

no

> How do the current SGA structures compare to historical SGA
> structures?

no

> Also I'm interested in 'Maintenance'.
> I'd like to compile a list of Maintenance tasks a DBA typically does.
> I know that before 9i, I had to worry about fragmentation of
> tablespaces
> and segments. But a vanilla install of 9i will free me from this
> since
> runInstaller creates locally managed tablespaces.
>
> So far I can only think of two Maintenance tasks:
>
> -Run a periodic backup (once a day or whatever).
> -Do I have stale indexes which need to be rebuilt?
>
> Do you experienced DBAs have advice to share on
> DB Maintenance and Monitoring?
>
> -April Nine

What about monitoring the alert_SID.log file for ORA-????? errors?

What about monitoring tablespaces to ensure that a required NEXT extent can always be allocated when it is needed?

If your database gets new records on a "regular" basis, periodic use of DBMS_STATS might be appropriate.

HTH & YMMV HAND! Received on Sat Jun 28 2003 - 19:10:33 CDT