DB Maintenance and Monitoring Advice?

From: April Nine <april94111_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2003 16:25:28 -0700

Hi,
I'm a UNIX Sys Admim looking for some simple advice on monitoring of the Oracle DB.
As an Oracle DBA what sort of events do you look for (using scripts or monitoring tools)?
Here is a list of things I can think of:

Current State Info:
How much disk space is Oracle currently using? How much RAM is Oracle currently using?
How much CPU is Oracle currently using?
What is the log-switch rate?

Growth Rate Info:
What is the disk space growth rate?
What is the RAM use growth rate?
What is the CPU use growth rate?
What is the log switch growth rate?

Recent Activity Info:
Who has been logging into the DB recently? What applications have been connecting to the DB recently? What DB objects have been created recently? What heavy hitter SQL commands have been hitting the DB recently? How do the heavy hitter SQL commands compare to historical heavy hitter SQL commands?
What do the SGA structures currently look like? (How large are they? What is in them?)
How do the current SGA structures compare to historical SGA structures?

Also I'm interested in 'Maintenance'.
I'd like to compile a list of Maintenance tasks a DBA typically does. I know that before 9i, I had to worry about fragmentation of tablespaces
and segments. But a vanilla install of 9i will free me from this since
runInstaller creates locally managed tablespaces.

So far I can only think of two Maintenance tasks:

-Run a periodic backup (once a day or whatever).
-Do I have stale indexes which need to be rebuilt?

Do you experienced DBAs have advice to share on DB Maintenance and Monitoring?

-April Nine