Re: Tuning Question

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:24:11 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Your situation is not comparable to the OP's. You had user complaints
> the OP had nothing but the recommendation of
> some scripts of unkown (at least to us here) value. In your case you
> had something specific to fix and a measure to
> determine success or failure. All the OP can do is satisfy a tool or
> create real problems.

Personally I see much too few complaints. It's just my opinion but to wait til the users come to you is IMHO not a real good idea. Since the DBA sees much more of the internal oracle stuff he should go the the app developers and make suggestions. Waiting for users/developers assumes that they know the optimum behavior. And especially when it comes to speed and response time of the application I've yet to see the user who wouldn't want a faster app.

But maybe we are talking about different environments here. If I were to administrate a db a nuke powerplant depends on I'd be very careful to touch a running system too.

I, and probably you too know not enough about Burtons environment. Is the system loaded so much that for instance the impact of another index on DML time causes a degradation serious enough to forbid a test? Does he have a test environment with realistic load at all? Would giving a shout to the office and just doing it if no one answers be a problem?
Is his app still in development? How much costs an hours downtime or data loss?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
While it is a known fact that programmers
never make mistakes, it is still a good idea