Re: Tuning Question

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:42:23 -0700

Volker Hetzer wrote:

> <snipped>
>

> Right now I'm in a comparable situation to this dba. I'm the only guy who actually
> sees performance data because everyone else is absolutely clueless. (Dunno whether
> the cluelessnes is comparable there, but here it's a fact. Just db users, no developers
> right now.)
> So, my boss hears the complains but is unable to do anything about it and
> thinks it's the HW anyways, our users grumble quietly but have no idea if
> it has to be that way and the last thing I'd need is for some guy to go whining
> about whether he should follow the advice of his dba.
> Dba suggested it, the user should make clear that the dba assumes responsibility for
> that change and that's it.
>
> As for that particular change, I had this too. We installed some software together
> with a db schema and it ran really slow. So, while a bigger server was being
> discussed I had a look at the schema and it turned out that one rather big table
> had no indexes at all. Looked at the problematic query, asked whether anyone had
> a problem with me tryin out a coupla indexes and voila - five minutes later performance
> was all right.
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker
> --
> While it is a known fact that programmers
> never make mistakes, it is still a good idea
> to humor the users by checking for errors at
> critical points in your program.
> -Robert D. Schneider, "Optimizing INFORMIX
> Applications"

Your situation is not comparable to the OP's. You had user complaints the OP had nothing but the recommendation of
some scripts of unkown (at least to us here) value. In your case you had something specific to fix and a measure to
determine success or failure. All the OP can do is satisfy a tool or create real problems.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu