Re: Tuning Question

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:32:31 -0500

--
"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> > Your situation is not comparable to the OP's. You had user complaints
> > the OP had nothing but the recommendation of
> > some scripts of unkown (at least to us here) value. In your case you
> > had something specific to fix and a measure to
> > determine success or failure. All the OP can do is satisfy a tool or
> > create real problems.
>
> Personally I see much too few complaints. It's just my opinion but
> to wait til the users come to you is IMHO not a real good idea.
> Since the DBA sees much more of the internal oracle stuff he should
> go the the app developers and make suggestions.
> Waiting for users/developers assumes that they know the optimum behavior.
> And especially when it comes to speed and response time of the application
> I've yet to see the user who wouldn't want a faster app.
>
> But maybe we are talking about different environments here. If I were to
> administrate a db a nuke powerplant depends on I'd be very careful
> to touch a running system too.
>
> I, and probably you too know not enough about Burtons environment.
> Is the system loaded so much that for instance the impact of another
> index on DML time causes a degradation serious enough to forbid
> a test? Does he have a test environment with realistic load at all?
> Would giving a shout to the office and just doing it if no one answers be
> a problem?
> Is his app still in development? How much costs an hours downtime or
> data loss?
As I stated above, this is just something we will have to test in our test environment, which is available... Actually, after posting my original post, I can now see this as 2 issues: 1) Another DBA suggesting changing production without testing - I don't do that for anything ... almost :) 2) Priorities and where do you draw the line in benefits for time spent on this vs. time spent on other things .