archives

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:53:40 +0100

Gerry,

two things,

you have started the background ARCH process and given it a location to place any archived files, however, you have not put the database into archive log mode - so nothing is actually being archived. To turn on archiving you need to :

shutdown <- normal shutdown NOT an abort ! startup mount
alter database archivelog;
shutdown
take a cold backup
startup

Use the command ARCHIVE LOG LIST in sqlplus (if 8i or 9i) or svrmgrl (if previous) to see if you are running archived or not.

SQL> archive log list
Database log mode Archive Mode <--- Shows database is iin archivlog mode as per the above
Automatic archival Enabled <------- Shows ARCH process is running.

You need both bits to be working, or it just won't work.

Next, if you want to make sure it is working, just type 'alter system archive log current' and see if you get am archived logfile in the correct location. If you are trying to work out how many transactions are required, 'it depends' on the size of the transactions and the size of the online redologs.

Cheers,
Norman.