Re: archives

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2003 06:39:21 -0700

"search" <gerry_at_village.uunet.be> wrote in message news:<3ef6d353$0$1036$ba620e4c_at_reader1.news.skynet.be>...
> I have a problem with the archives.
> I have added in the init.ora following lines :
>
> log_archive_start = true
> log_archive_dest = "location=e:\oracle\oradata\archive"
> log_archive_format = %%ORACLE_SID%%T%TS%S.ARC
>
> I restarted oracle but I don 't see archive files added
> to my archive folder.
>
> How much transactions do I have to to before the archive folder
> begins to fill?
>

> thx
>

> Gerry

You forgot to mention your version of Oracle and OS which could weed out some of the uneccesary information you may receive as responses

I will make a couple of assumptions here and one of them is that after  setting up the appropriate parameters as you did the database was mounted and "alter database archivelog" was run.

It may take a while for your redo log files to be archived.

These will be dependent on a couple of factors among others.

1)The level of activity of your database The more activity the more redo is generated and the more redo generated the more likely it is for your logfiles to switch thus archiving the contents of the most recently used logfiles before proceeding.

Init.ora parameters..

2)The value of log_checkpoint_timeout-

This will indicate the amount of time in seconds that a log switch will occur.
At this time Oracle will have to start writing to a new log file which means the content of the log file which was in use will be archived.At this point in time you see an archived log file saved at the location stated in
archived_log_dest. Specifying 0 disables this parameter.

3)The value of Log_checkpoint_interval ---

This is the number of OS blocks that have to be written to the log files before they are archived.If this number is larger than the number of blocks in the redo log file, only after a checkpoint will the log files be archived.
4)Fast_start_mttr-target(Version 9) seconds This parameter when set will specify the number of seconds the database takes to perform crash recovery of a single instance it is overidden by
log_checkpoint_interval and fast_start_io_target 5)Fast_start_io_target.

6)Alternatively the defacto method of verifying if archiving is properly set is by typing
alter system switch logfile on sql*plus prompt this will force a checkpoint thus writing out an archived redo log file
in the configured archiving destination.

HTH
Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Mon Jun 23 2003 - 08:39:21 CDT