Re: Interesting info about Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:02:19 -0700

"Gerard H. Pille" wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> > Keith wrote:
> >

> >>I don't mean this as a flame but.. I am really worried about dancing
> >>with the devil (oracle). Also my rectum is sacred and is a one-way
> >>street. Last thing I want is to end up shelling out thousands because of
> >>some new Oracle "tactic." It appears that you can't get any objective
> >>decission making opinions from this brain-washed Oracle crowd. It feels
> >>like you are not preaching to the choir here but preaching to the
> >>alter-boys who like to take it in rear (oracle-DBAs). Come on people,
> >>get objective about spending your company's or tax-payer's money.
> >>
> >>I am really considering PostGreSQL. It is mature, stable and has many
> >>enterprise features including replication. Besides, not having any
> >>string attached leaves you calm. It is heavily used in mission critical
> >>implementations. The .ORG name service run on PostGreSQL.
> >>
> >>Thanks

> > Find a dictionary and look up the word "disingenuous."
> >
> > Then look up "caveat emptor."
> >
> > Enough said!
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
> >

> PostGreSQL is a very interesting alternative. I was amazed to see what it had to
> offer, FOR FREE. At least everything a normal application needs.
>

> --

> Gerard H. Pille

Not to be insulting but ...

I don't know what "normal" to you is but for the applications I build it wouldn't cut it.

I suspect, by your standard, MS Access would also contain everything a "normal" application needs.

Don't get me wrong PostgreSQL is worth exactly what you pay for it: Perhaps a bit more.
But it isn't going to hand you one hundredth the functionality of Oracle or DB2 or Informix.

Translation: Point to a single instance of it being used to support SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel, or Baan.
Also explain how it handles high security, high transaction volumes, and disaster recovery: Choke!

--
Daniel Morgan