Re: Interesting info about Oracle

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:28:47 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> "Gerard H. Pille" wrote:
>

>>PostGreSQL is a very interesting alternative. I was amazed to see what it had to
>>offer, FOR FREE.  At least everything a normal application needs.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Gerard H. Pille

> Not to be insulting but ...
>
> I don't know what "normal" to you is but for the applications I build it wouldn't
> cut it.
>
> I suspect, by your standard, MS Access would also contain everything a "normal"
> application needs.
>
> Don't get me wrong PostgreSQL is worth exactly what you pay for it: Perhaps a bit
> more.
> But it isn't going to hand you one hundredth the functionality of Oracle or DB2 or
> Informix.
>
> Translation: Point to a single instance of it being used to support SAP, PeopleSoft,
> Siebel, or Baan.
> Also explain how it handles high security, high transaction volumes, and disaster
> recovery: Choke!
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Not to be insulting but still saying that MS Access is up to my standards?

What a strange sense of humor. I can imagine your customers screaming with laughter when you offer them advice. That is, until they get the bill.

"PostgreSQL is worth exactly what you pay for it: Perhaps a bit more." Oracle has a hard time being worth a little more than what you pay for it.

What could my customers do with that amount of money if they didn't spend it on Oracle? Imagine ...

--

Gerard H. Pille