Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:44:25 +0100

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:bcmc48$21h$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Paul Brewer wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure to what extent this will help in the original discussion,
> > since the prior posts are not visible to me, but there is definitely one
> > (Oracle 8 or 8i) scenario where SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE waits forever when
the
> > unintelligent agent is running. Under those circumstances we need to do
> > 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_stop' before the shutdown.
>
> Good advice. However, on the production box where we have had 'shutdown
> immediate' still being busy after 24 hours (at least 3 times the last 12
> months), is without any agents.
>
> The sessions according to v$session when the shutdown was executed -
> majority of sessions are Corba C modules, a few batch (SQL*Plus) jobs and
> one or two online TOAD sessions.
>
> Methinks there is something else besides the agent that causes 'shutdown
> immediates' to hang... Next time around I will take a better look when it
> happens again.

Billy,

Could be. And I have a suspicion (but no more) that it has to do with open db_links.
How about we just go with HJR's idea of shutdown abort > startup restrict > shutdown?
This suggestion may well start another war, but I shall declare allegiance early: I like it.

Regards,
Paul Received on Tue Jun 17 2003 - 14:44:25 CDT