Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:20:53 +0000

Paul Brewer wrote:

> I'm not sure to what extent this will help in the original discussion,
> since the prior posts are not visible to me, but there is definitely one
> (Oracle 8 or 8i) scenario where SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE waits forever when the
> unintelligent agent is running. Under those circumstances we need to do a
> 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_stop' before the shutdown.

Good advice. However, on the production box where we have had 'shutdown immediate' still being busy after 24 hours (at least 3 times the last 12 months), is without any agents.

The sessions according to v$session when the shutdown was executed - majority of sessions are Corba C modules, a few batch (SQL*Plus) jobs and one or two online TOAD sessions.

Methinks there is something else besides the agent that causes 'shutdown immediates' to hang... Next time around I will take a better look when it happens again.

--
Billy