Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:37:58 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3EE8F7A6.EEDA4293_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Hans Forbrich wrote:
>
> > Anton Dischner wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Daniel, i forgot to say:
> > >
> > > We shut down all our programs which do mostly inserts and short
queries.
> > > Only emergengy laboratory is working at his time and they are aware of
> > > the switch.
> > > There is no activity for plenty of time (approx. 1 hour) til the
> > > DBA is called.
> > > The system is complete idle at this time.
> >
> > One frequently forgotten connection is from the 'intelligent' agent.
That's
> > bitten my shutdown immediate in the a*& on several occasions.
>
> Exatly why I am suspicious of anyone telling me SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE doesn't
work.

> I want to see the result of a ps -ef before pronouncing the analysis
correct.
> And I've yet to see one that was which doesn't mean there couldn't be a
first.
> --

Daniel,

I'm not sure to what extent this will help in the original discussion, since the prior posts are not visible to me, but there is definitely one (Oracle 8 or 8i) scenario where SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE waits forever when the unintelligent agent is running. Under those circumstances we need to do a 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_stop' before the shutdown.

Regards,
Paul Received on Sat Jun 14 2003 - 15:37:58 CDT