Re: Connect to an Oracle9i database server

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:46:06 +0100

"Terry Chan" <ie98ckchan_at_sinaman.com> wrote in message news:bcjf26$die$1_at_www.csis.hku.hk...
> Hi,
>
> I want to ask if I can write a C# application to connect an Oracle9i
> database without having installed the Oracle client.

Yes - but see below.

> Besides, is OLE DB .NET Data Provider or ODBC .NET Data Provider
sufficient
> enough?

no, not in themselves. you would need an OLEDB or ODB Driver and except for the extra fee ones provided by data direct the available drivers require a client install. So the only way to avoid installing the Oracle client is to install some extra cost third party software. I've never understood this myself but people do do it.

Incidentally this is entirely the same as if you were connecting to MSSQL - except that MS don't distribute client libraries for Oracle with everything they ship - they do do this for MSSQL. (well OK only everything that has MDAC in it - windows,office,ie etc its probably missing from Motorcycle Madness - though I wouldn't entirely count on it).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA