Re: Configuring Oracle 9 on Linux (Memory issue)

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 06:43:33 +0200

On 9 Jun 2003 10:39:05 -0700, double6_at_yandex.ru (undef) wrote:

>> IIRC shmmax ought to be bigger than the SGA. In your case it isn't
>> Also it looks to me there is a too big difference between sga_max_size
>> and shared_pool_size + db_block_buffers * db_block_size, as you don't
>> seem to have the large pool and the javapool configured.
>> Couldn't it be you are right now wasting memory?
>>

>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>> To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>
>Thanx for your reply!
>
>Well, actually i have
>
>java_pool_size=83886080
>large_pool_size=16777216
>
>So, what should i do? Is it good to have SGA half of RAM? Is it good
>to have SGA 50% shared_pool and 50% db_block_buffers for the
>beginning?

Usually one third of physical RAM. The shared pool is usually bigger than the buffer cache.
>BTW, another question about configuration files. What config files
>server uses? I have init.ora and initdbname.ora (for my instance). The
>last one overrides init.ora?

The init.ora provided is a demo one. The instance will always look at $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init${ORACLE_SID}.ora

I modified configuration from Oracle
>Enterprise Manager and restart the database, but are that changes only
>for one time? Where do i need to keep real values?

You can save the changes made in OEM to a separate init<databasenam>.ora and have OEM use that file during start up. sqlplus won't however use that file. You could of course soft link the two files.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 23:43:33 CDT