Re: Shared_server_sessions parameter and dispatcher sessions attribute

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 06:38:15 +0200

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:33:33 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:38:43 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker"
><postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>

>>"Peter" <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message
>>> I have this dispatcher parameter that I like to set up.
>>> What is the difference between the dispatcher connections attribute
>>> and the sessions attribute? Are the sessions referring to user
>>> sessions? Are the connections actual connections to the instance?
>>>

>>dispatchers="(protocol=tcp)(dispatchers=2)(pool=on)(connections=100)(session
>>s=200)"
>>>

>>> Also, what is the difference between the SHARED_SERVER_SESSIONS
>>> initialization parameter and the dispatcher sessions attribute?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>Reading the manual for you (and I will do this *ONCE ONLY*)
>>
>>Your 200 sessions are being dealt with by 100 connections.
>>The essence of pooling is that connections will be shared by multiple
>>sessions.
>>
>> Connection pooling is defined as
>>
>>A resource utilization and user scalability feature that enables you to
>>maximize the number of sessions over a limited number of protocol
>>connections to a shared server.
>>
>>The shared server sessions parameter according to the reference manual is
>>the maximum number of shared servers you can have on the server.
>>As a *client* session can be and will be dealt with by *multiple* shared
>>servers, there is no relationship, other than on a busy database you can run
>>out of shared servers on the servers.
>>
>>Question: did you look this up in the reference manual? I can find it with 1
>>or 2 clicks. It doesn't look like you want clarification, you want others to
>>do something you could have looked up yourself.
>
>I looked it up in the manual before, if shared server sessions
>parameter is the maximum number of shared servers, then what is
>parameter SHARED_SERVERS ?
>
>From the manual:
>SHARED_SERVERS specifies the number of server processes that you want
>to create when an instance is started up.
>
>They have quite similar descriptions and this causes even more
>questions.
>
>Thanks

Look at what it says: the shared servers parameter determine how many server processes you will get started *at startup*. After that the number of shared servers will increase on demand as needed, until shared_server_sessions is reached. That is all what it is. And, IIRC, this concept is explained in the Oracle Database Administrator manual.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 23:38:15 CDT