Re: "Alter system switch logfile" hangs

From: Steve Ashmore <sashmore_at_neonramp.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 05:43:21 -0500

You database is probably still in Archivelog mode , but you have disabled automatic archiving.
So after your 3rd switch the database hangs. To shut off archiving:

shutdown immediate
startup mount
alter database noarchivelog;
alter database open;

Be sure you are certain that you do no want archiving as it limits your recovery options;

select * from v$backup;

Will show what is in backup mode;

Stephen C. Ashmore
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration http://www.brainbench.com
Author of: 'So You Want to be an Oracle DBA?'