"Alter system switch logfile" hangs

From: Gaetan <gaetan_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2003 03:07:03 -0700

Hello.

I'm using Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 under AIX 5.1 to replicate a database using a 3rd party tool which we develop. I'm not a DBA and usually get all the help from this group or from Metalink but I'm running out of ideas and time.

I wrote scripts to put the tablespace in hotbackup mode but the command "alter system switch logfile" just hangs when executed the second time.

When I run the query manually, the command hangs after the 3rd time

SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE begin backup Tablespace altered
SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE end backup Tablespace altered
SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace; Database altered
SQL> alter system switch logfile
System altered
SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE begin backup Tablespace altered
SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE end backup Tablespace altered
SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace; Database altered
SQL> alter system switch logfile
HANGS AT THIS TIME UNTIL I PRESS CTRL^C No .ARC files are being created. I uncommented LOG_ARCHIVE_START and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST in the init.ora, bounced the instance but it doesn't make any changes

I'm not a DBA and usually get all the help from this group or from Metalink.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Gaetan Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 05:07:03 CDT