Re: Real Application Cluster (RAC) - Access Transperency

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 06:15:08 GMT

Robert Heinzmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry, maybe I didnt explain my situation well enougth.

I'll try to be a bit more explicit .... (and I am open to correction)

In a 2-tier (client server) model or in the last tier of an n-tier, whether the client software is supplied by Oracle or by a third party, it's connectivity is usually through SQL*Net (DB version 7 or earlier), Net8 (DB version 8, 8i) or Oracle Net Services (DB version 9i).

This includes ODBC drivers, JDBC over ODBC, Oracle's supplied JDBC, or any client compiled using Oracle's Pro*, such as Pro*C, or OCI

And anything that uses the Oracle networking layer will use TNSNAMES or one of the enterprise substitutes such as Oracle Names. As a result, what you read about TAF is valid.

(There are a few exceptions. Others in this NG will likely point these out as well as cacth my errors and ommissions. - TIA)

More coments and questions embedded ....

> <snip>
> We have two ways of connecting to a oracle server :
>
> a) Directly with a native interface
> b) throught some kind of oracle supplied client software

Not quite sure what you mean by 'native interface'. Or by oracle supplied client software. And I think the terminology here is what is causing the confusion.

Again - (with very few exceptions) all Oracle supplied clients and Oracle supplied APIs which others use to build their clients communicate to the database through a communications layer known as SQL*Net, Net8 or Oracle Net Services. So basically I see only 1 way to connect to the server. In it's basic form, that layer uses TNSNAMES.ora to provide it's connection directives.

> actually my question comes down to :
>
> Do all client services use tnsnames.ora for client connectivity and thus
> use the HA feature of TAF ?

Yes. (for all practical purposes)

You might want an even higher level overview. Go to http://otn.oracle.com; under Resources, click on Product Information, then Oracle9i Database, look for Availability.

Failover is usually only part of the requirements. You might also want to review the material at http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/htdocs/ha_features.html#nw_failure for additional ideas.

Look at http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/htdocs/taf.html - perhaps the diagrams will help you with the understanding.

> So I was confused how oracle RAC/TAF handles this ?
>
> Most of our customers use any kind of software wih oracle as the databas
> and I dont know how they access Oracle, either by JDBC or Native C++
> Interface (if that is possible :) or any other way. So I wanted to make
> shure if transparent access is guaranteed in any way of client connectivity.
>
> I must say that saying the oracle documention is "BAD" was not ok.
> Generally oracle documentation is good. Technical enougth to get the
> information you need but still keeping a kind of "overview" of the whole
> thing. In this certain case I find the documentation not good. I think
> it is some kind of "marketing material" not dealing with the real
> problem and telling peaople what to expect from TAF. Thats why I said
> that the documentation was bad.

It's like looking up a word in the dictionary - if you don't know how to spell the word, finding it is difficult.

Oracle has a lot of information in a lot of documentation, but you have to understand how the document writers have written and organized the material. It takes some effort. Received on Sun Jun 01 2003 - 01:15:08 CDT