Re: Real Application Cluster (RAC) - Access Transperency

From: Robert Heinzmann <Robert.Heinzmann_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 11:08:57 +0200

Hello Hans,

I think I got it :)

<cut>
> Again - (with very few exceptions) all Oracle supplied clients and Oracle supplied APIs
> which others use to build their clients communicate to the database through a
> communications layer known as SQL*Net, Net8 or Oracle Net Services. So basically I see
> only 1 way to connect to the server. In it's basic form, that layer uses TNSNAMES.ora to
> provide it's connection directives.

In a TAF RAC cluster installation the client connection layer (in this case Oracle NET, Net8 or SQL*Net) is "cluster aware" and thus will handle the failover (or even load balancing).

All applications will connect through this connection layer resulting a transparent failover from the viewpoint of the application.

Thank you for your help pointing this out.

Robert

p.s. Thanks for the documentation tips. Received on Sun Jun 01 2003 - 04:08:57 CDT