Re: CPU Power or bigger Cache?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:05:54 +1000

Given that Oracle working sets are very large, any system with larger cache will always perform much faster. The question is by how much.

Check out the 2Mb cache speed (is it same as CPU or is it local bus speed?). If it is same as CPU speed, you can expect a very significant difference in performance with the 2Mb cache. Like, twice as fast.

Is that important? Maybe not. What is your work load like? Lots of long batch runs? If so, then twice as fast may be VERY significant (half of 24 hours is still 12 hours!). If not and most of your workload is short interactive transactions, then the 2Mb cache will only help in scalability (half of 1/100 of a second is very hard to distinguish from 1/100 of a second!).

See what I mean? It is highly dependent on the characteristics of your particular workload and you have not given enough information to conclude anything.

Hopefully I'll have given you some idea of the sort of things to look out for.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto