Re: Package compilation performance

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:23:38 -0700

Jeremy wrote:

> In article <3EC8F9DA.88C88270_at_exxesolutions.com>,
> damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com says...
> > Jeremy wrote:
> >
> > > Has anybody noticed that, over time, pl/sql compilation time appears to
> > > increase? I don't mean just in regard to size but generally?
> > >
> > > Is there a way to 'clean things up' to restore pl/sql compilation speeds
> > > to what they were originally?
> > >
> > > Or am I imagining things!
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > jeremy
> >
> > It has not been my experience.
> >
> > If you want to pursue this I would suggest you supply the following:
> > 1. Oracle version and edition
> > 2. Server hardware and operating system
> > 3. Client hardware and operating system
> > 4. Time period, number of compilations, and size of compiled objects
> >

> Thanks Daniel. This is 8.1.6 Standard Edition on Solaris 2.6. Client is
> sqlplus 9.0.1.3.0 on WinXP Professional.
>
> I figured that perhaps there might be some fragmentation occurring over
> time (this database is 18 months old, contains about 76 application-
> specific pl/sql packages in total around 120,000 lines of code. Packages
> are always being altered and reompiled (it is a devt db)) - is this
> possible?
>
> thanks anyway
>
> --
>
> jeremy

8.1.6 is no longer supported on any platform. It was and is buggy and without patching to at least 8.1.6.2 not worth keeping around longer than it takes to patch it.

9.0.1.3.0 on XP Pro is not a good client and definitely not a good client for 8.1.6.

Compile time and fragmentation belong in the same sentence as much as do the amount of ice at the north pole and the diameter of the planet Neptune: There is no relationship.

Before I wasted five minutes worrying about compile time I'd upgrade to at least 8.1.7.4. That likely will solve the entire problem and get you something that has been supported in this millenium.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu