Re: Package compilation performance

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:54:29 +0100

In article <3EC8F9DA.88C88270_at_exxesolutions.com>, damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com says...
> Jeremy wrote:
>
> > Has anybody noticed that, over time, pl/sql compilation time appears to
> > increase? I don't mean just in regard to size but generally?
> >
> > Is there a way to 'clean things up' to restore pl/sql compilation speeds
> > to what they were originally?
> >
> > Or am I imagining things!
> >
> > --
> >
> > jeremy
>
> It has not been my experience.
>
> If you want to pursue this I would suggest you supply the following:
> 1. Oracle version and edition
> 2. Server hardware and operating system
> 3. Client hardware and operating system
> 4. Time period, number of compilations, and size of compiled objects

Thanks Daniel. This is 8.1.6 Standard Edition on Solaris 2.6. Client is sqlplus 9.0.1.3.0 on WinXP Professional.

I figured that perhaps there might be some fragmentation occurring over time (this database is 18 months old, contains about 76 applicationspecific  pl/sql packages in total around 120,000 lines of code. Packages are always being altered and reompiled (it is a devt db)) - is this possible?

thanks anyway

--

jeremy