Re: Install Oracle Server on Linux

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 May 2003 09:33:58 -0700

"Enzo" <titi_at_toto.fr> wrote in message news:<ba25to$897$1_at_news-reader11.wanadoo.fr>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install an Oracle Server on a Linux machine.
> I launch runInstaller but nothing append. I only have this message :
>
> " Initializing Java Virtual Machine from / ...... Please wait .... "
>
> My environment : RedHat 6.2, JDK 1.3.1, I try to install Oracle 8.1.7
> I created my user "oracle" with the groups "orainstall" and "dba".
> I changed the .bash-profile for the user "oracle" (by adding several export
> for the oracle environment, the java environment, ...).
>
> Can somebody help me.

Remove all java environment settings from your .bash-profile. Don't forget to run X and check if DISPLAY variable is set. If it doesn't help, find installation log file and check it for errors. Last but not least. I had problems installing when primary group of user oracle was orainstall. Everything was great when I changed primary group to dba. It might be specific to my case only.