Re: Product support for Oracle 7.x

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 02:20:26 GMT

Rauf Sarwar wrote:

> I don't know why OP needs it for all those platforms, but in my line
> of work (ERP), we have pretty much all releases from 7.2.x up inhouse
> (Atleast for WinNT/2K, Sun and HP). We need them because we have to
> support our customers (Dev, Test etc). Although majority of them
> upgrade to the new releases of Oracle and our application, there are
> still few who are stuck in time (7.2/3.x, 8.0.x, 8.1.6.x etc) and do
> not upgrade for one reason or another or have not yet decided to
> upgrade.... so per our maintenance agreement, we have to provide
> support.
>
> Regards
> /Rauf Sarwar

While I do understand this particular reasoning, there is a diminishingly small amount of justification for this. In one of my previous lives, the telco-nem I worked for had a similar problem. Ended up being cheaper for the company to pay our own resources to upgrade the stagglers; cheaper in terms of man-power, computer resources, tech knowledge base, and finally potential legal hassles.

I suspect that the lawyers could have a field day if the database crashed. Oracle's hands are washed. If your agreement indicates you will provide support after the baseline vendors stop ... might I suggest a very strong umbrella!

On the other hand, the OP implied they want to start evaluation of that release ... to me that translates to 'no previous experience, no system to support'. Which triggered the question.

/Hans Received on Sun May 11 2003 - 21:20:26 CDT